[EM] Jameson: Regarding preference criteria

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 14:13:20 PST 2011

Earlier, you proposed a criterion which said that B should win in the
following situation:

49 C
27 B>A
24 A (>B truncated)

I criticized that criterion by saying that B is not the right result if the
situation is in fact:

49 C
27 B>A (strategic; honest is B>C)
24 A (>B=C sincere)

You replied that my criticism did not apply to your criterion, even though
the votes are the same.

Now you say:

That's because you have no way of determinng someone's
> preferences independent of their expression of them.

which seems to me to be the same thing I've been arguing: that a criterion
can only require certain results for certain (kinds of sets of) ballots,
even if those requirements are based on some reasoning about possible
underlying preferences.

Jameson