[EM] Jameson: Regarding preference criteria

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:41:29 PST 2011

Jameson:

You said:

Reductio ad absurdem. One voter, two candidates. Preference-based
criterion: "If the voter votes for A but actually prefers B, then B should
win".

[endquote]

Remember that you, not I, propose that criterion.

You continue:

But, people say, what if they meant to vote for A? Nope, you say,
doesn't fit the criterion.

[endquote]

Nonsense. How do you propose to establish that someone preferred the one
that s/he voted against, especially if s/he denies it?

Your criterion is unusable.

You continue:

So fine, I can find whether system X meets this
criterion

[endquote]

No, you can't.

That's because you have no way of determinng someone's
preferences independent of their expression of them.

You continue:

but we can't have a reasonable conversation about it

[endquote]

You got that part right.

You continue:

, because
half of the relevant examples are somehow arbitrarily outlawed because they
don't "fit".

[endquote]

No, it's because your criterion relies on unavailable information.

You continue:

Preference-mentioning criterion: "Imagine the voter prefers B, but due to
an epileptic seizure, votes for A. The correct winner in this case would be
B. Therefore, whenever we see a vote for A, we should elect B."

[endquote]

Again, that's _your_ preference-mentioning criterion. Understand that. I agree that
your criterion is ridiculous.

You continue:

I'm
just saying that a criterion can be justified on the basis of preferences,
but, like the system itself, must ultimately speak in terms of ballots and
results.

[endquote]

Hello? I guess it's necessary to repeat this again:

My preference criteria stipulate preferences and relation between preferences and
voting. Thereby, they indirectly stipulate about ballots.

Mike Ossipoff