[EM] Votes-only criteria vs preference criteria. IRV squeeze-effect. Divulge IRV election specifics?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 09:49:59 PST 2011

There are three possible kinds of criteria:
1. Criteria which apply to ballots and do not mention preferences.
2. Criteria which apply to ballots and mention preferences (for instance,
as part of the justification for why the criterion is desirable)
3. Criteria which apply to preferences.

You are saying that type 1 is bad, so we are forced to choose type 3.
Everyone else is telling you that type 3 is essentially incoherent. We
realize that type 1 is often bad. So we usually use type 2, and
occasionally (when appropriate) type 1.

Jameson