[EM] a response to Kristofer Munsterhjelm re: Fuzzy Options.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 12:25:37 PDT 2011

You keep saying "I'm middlebrow, I think IRV would work OK, because the
parties would shift to wherever they had to be." You could use exactly the
same argument to support plurality. Yet we know that under plurality, the
two-party domination is such that the parties get stuck and/or bought, and
significant ideological segments are unrepresented.

And if it doesn't work the way you expect? A lot of effort, down the drain;
and the well is poisoned for the next reform.

Personally, I have and woud again vote for IRV, if that's the only choice.
But if your goal is to convince all of us - or even one of us - to start
pitching IRV to our friends as the way forward... well, it just won't
happen.

Where we can mostly agree is on something like the statement, which
excoriates plurality, and endorses 4 good systems, but also leaves the door
open to IRV. And getting even that much consensus, honestly, is a struggle.

JQ