[EM] a response to Kristofer Munsterhjelm re: Fuzzy Options.

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 11:56:42 PDT 2011

>> dlw: Well, 1. IRV3 doesn't let folks rank all of the options and so it
>> hopefully has more quality control on which options are ranked.
>> 2. by not always giving us the "center", it does permit learning about
>> the different viewpoints.  Remember, since I'm middle-brow, I don't put as
>> much significance on optimizing within the distribution of political
>> opinion space.
>>

> JQ:Balinski and Laraki studied a number of rules, and found that IRV and
> Plurality elected an extremist almost 100% of the time; Condorcet and Range
> elected a centrist almost 100%; and only Majority Judgment elected both
> centrists and extremists with about equal balance. So "learning about the
> different viewpoints does not favor IRV, but rather MJ.

dlw: But since I'm middle-brow, then I'm rather agnostic about "centrism".
 The political center is at best a useful fiction or something
tautologically always present and always shifting.  It isn't something that
you can construct a political party around and keep from going stale.

>> 3. It introduces some uncertainty in the circulation of the elites, which
>> can give alternative viewpoints a chance to get a better hearing.  When a
>> new third party gains ground, it'll get a serious hearing and hopefully the
>> de facto center will be moved.
>>

> JQ:Again, this actually argues for MJ more than IRV.

dlw: What the potential for spoilers doesn't create uncertainty or give
third parties some sway with the major parties?  The main losers are the
centrists, but with two dynamic shifting major parties, as I envision in my
ideal-type democracy, why would we really need a centrist party?
dlw