[EM] a response to Kristofer Munsterhjelm re: Fuzzy Options.

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:18:10 PDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>wrote:

> JQ:You keep saying "I'm middlebrow, I think IRV would work OK, because the
> parties would shift to wherever they had to be." You could use exactly the
> same argument to support plurality.

dlw:As a matter of fact, I believe that the US was capable of doing a lot
of good things in its past, despite the fact that it primarily used
plurality because of that exact fact.  This is why I get most passionate
about the use of a mix of multi-winner and single-winner elections than the
specific sorts of options given voters.

> Yet we know that under plurality, the two-party domination is such that
> the parties get stuck and/or bought, and significant ideological segments
> are unrepresented.

dlw: It's more so like that when only plurality is used.  All parties in
power tend to get bought some and it's hard not to have some ideological
segments unrepresented.

> JQ:And if it doesn't work the way you expect? A lot of effort, down the
> drain; and the well is poisoned for the next reform.

dlw: It's going to work.  Burlington was a temporary setback, facilitated
by a lot of anti-electoral reform money and args from the detractors of IRV
that got used improperly to reinstate FPTP.

> JQ:Personally, I have and woud again vote for IRV, if that's the only
> choice. But if your goal is to convince all of us - or even one of us - to
> start pitching IRV to our friends as the way forward... well, it just won't
> happen.

dlw: I'm glad to hear it.  In my country, because of how the system is set
up currently and people's ignorance on the matter, there isn't scope for
there to be a lot of choices for electoral reform.

> JQ:Where we can mostly agree is on something like the statement, which
> excoriates plurality, and endorses 4 good systems, but also leaves the door
> open to IRV. And getting even that much consensus, honestly, is a struggle.

dlw: I guess that's why electoral reform cannot proceed by consensus which
is why I support FairVote, even though I believe that they are rhetorically
over-committed to the importance of Rank-Choice-Voting (or Later No Harm).

dlw