[EM] IRV3/AV3

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 09:01:54 PDT 2011

2011/11/1 David L Wetzell <wetzelld at gmail.com>

> I believe there have to be only 3 candidates  and it has to be a close
> 3-way election for the 20% to be valid.

And the candidates must not be organized along a one-dimensional
ideological spectrum. That restriction does not hold for many partisan
elections, thus the percentage can be significantly higher than 20% for
close elections.

> As long as the odds are low enuf, it doesn't matter that much.  It just
> says that in some cases, some folks will have sour grapes.
>
> And over time and place, such possible biases will get evened out...

Also not true. There is an clear overall bias against centrists. If you
want, I can pull up the citations in my zotero...

JQ

> Nonmonotonicity is no good reason to bring back the use of FPTP.

Agreed.

> It was used for pragmatic reasons by those who were upset by how IRV was
> improving the democracy of Burlington, VT.

For at least many voters, the non-Condorcet result was their honest reason
for voting for repeal. I don't think it helps to accuse them of mere
partisanship.

JQ