[EM] Record activity on the EM list?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 09:05:58 PDT 2011

2011/8/3 Peter Zbornik <pzbornik at gmail.com>

> Hi Jameson,
>
> I like the slate-nominating feature it requires the nominators of the
> slates to think about the "best" composition of the council and not about
> "their" candidates.
> This encourages deliberation and discussion across partisan "borders", I
> imagine, in order to find the perfect mix.
>
> Slate nomination is used in Sweden a lot, where a nomination committee gets
> the assignment to find "the ideal" slate.
> By allowing everyone to nominate slates, this nomination committee might
> not be needed, or would get some competition, I imagine.
>
> I like letting the voters do some deliberation and cross-partisan
> communication in order to ease the pain of the computer in evaluating
> zillions of slates.
>
> Peter
>
> Thanks for your positive comments. However, I have to admit that I
anticipate that in most cases, the supposedly NP-complete problem would be
an "easy case" which is resolvable using modern computation. So the winning
slate would be often be proposed not by cross-partisan deliberation, but by
someone who had a computer to evaluate zillions of slates.

Note that another practical problem with this method is that it requires
publishing full ballot data. With even a fair number of candidates and
rating levels, that would be enough to make many individual ballots, opening
up the possibility of vote-buying and such.

So while I think this method is quite beautiful in theory, I don't propose
it for real-world use.

JQ