[EM] Record activity on the EM list?

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 22:58:59 PDT 2011

This method looks like one pretty natural way of measuring who should be elected.

The privacy concerns are a problem in some environments but not all. This method could thus well suit for some "real-world use" (if privacy in not a problem or if voting machines or vote counters can be trusted). Note that already e.g. basic rankings of typical Condorcet methods may violate privacy. If we want to be sure, we need large enough atomic voting areas and bullet votes, or not much more than that (e.g. short/truncated ballots and few discrete rating values only).

The most efficient counting process could be one where you guess some cutoff level and then try to adjust it.

One possible strategy could be that all parties (or wings) move towards exaggeration so that thy will give candidates of other parties 0 points. That way we could end up solving ties where the cutoff drops down to 0.

Juho