[EM] Anyone got a good analysis on limitations of approval andrange voting?

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Mon Nov 16 10:28:23 PST 2009

On Nov 16, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Stéphane Rouillon wrote:

> Would this suggest it could be possible to overcome Arrow's theorem using range ballots?
> I do not want to say Arrow's theorem is false. All I ask is:
> Are prefential ballots one of the hypothesis used in Arrow's theorem proof?

Because the context of Arrow's theorem is ordinal ballots, it doesn't apply (at least not directly) to range voting. Arrow felt that there were good and sufficient reasons to exclude cardinal preferences from consideration, and most social choice thinking has followed suit. That exclusion was not original with Arrow.