[EM] STV - the transferrable part is OK (fair), the sequential round elimination is not

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 11:34:16 PST 2009

On Nov 3, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:

> Juho wrote:
>> If one really wants a two-party system and doesn't want voters to
>> change that fact then one could ban third parties and accept only
>> two. That would solve the spoiler problem :-).
> Who is this "one"? Since that one is at odds with the voters, that's
> not very democratic, is it?

I was thinking about the voters or their representatives who want to
have a two-party system. Those groups can be considered to be the key
decision makers in a democratic system.

> I guess that one "democratic" way of doing it would be to have the
> question itself posed to the voters, but with a suitable low-pass
> filter (e.g. supermajority required to change it, or a majority over
> a long time); though then I think it'd be better just to have the
> filter on the decision process itself.

This is a good definition of democracy. I tend to think that if the
voters have the opportunity to change any old rule if they really so
want, then that society can be called democratic. (Also the two-party
status (=one current practice of decision making) can be a topic to be
changed.)

>> From this point of view e.g. the US system is not really intended to
>> be a two-party system but just a system (target state unspecified)
>> that has some problems with third parties.
>
> That's most likely the case. AFAIK, the founding fathers just copied
> Britain's election methods (first past the post, etc.), and by the
> time parts of the US noticed this wasn't really optimal, those who
> benefitted from said methods' unfairness had acquired enough power
> to block the adoption of better methods (e.g. the red scare campaign
> leading to STV's repeal in New York).

One old proverb says that people tend to get the kind of government
that they deserve. If people want change in a democratic system they
should 1) understand and 2) act/decide.

> There are some exceptions. To my knowledge, some state governors are
> elected by runoff rather than just "winner takes it all". FPTP
> runoff may fail (such as with Le Pen in France, or more relevant -
> the "better a lizard than a wizard" second round in Louisiana), but
> at least it can't elect the Condorcet loser, which plain old FPTP
> has no problem doing.

The Le Pen case was maybe not a full failure. Although it was shocking
to many that a candidate that large majority of the voters definitely
didn't want to elect got to the second round he was not elected anyway.

(Btw, I think it is ok to elect the Condorcet loser in some extreme
situations. If for example the target is to elect a candidate that
would be stable in the sense that there is no major interest to
replace her soon after the election with some other candidate then
Condorcet loser can be a better candidate than any of a badly looped
Smith set. Group opinions are not linear and therefore the fact that
one of the candidates seems to be "last" can not be automatically
taken as a conclusion that some other candidate should win.)

Juho