[EM] STV - the transferrable part is OK (fair), the sequential round elimination is not

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 11:35:53 PST 2009

I commented in another mail that any system where people can change
the system itself can be said to be a democracy. Even a two party
system that bans third parties may still fall within this definition.
Also multi-party systems have the same problem although in a milder
form. The representatives of the voters may well make decisions that
the voters do not approve, and they may not make decisions that the
voters want. That is possible as long as the representatives do not
get so arrogant in doing this that the voters would use their power to
focus on this particular question in the (few) coming elections an
force the system to change. Direct democracy is more direct than the
two above mentioned forms of indirect representative democracy.

(I'll once more advocate tree voting a bit. One key idea behind it is
that it would be possible that members and voters of all leading
parties would form a pro-x interest group within their own party. Once
all these subgroups within each party would grow and together reach
 >50% of all the seats then that change (x) would happen. This change
would take place in a very peaceful way, allowing the voters to stay
within their "own" parties without the need to abandon them or vote
against them or disagree with them, just slowly changing the opinion
balance within these parties.)

Juho