[EM] STV - the transferrable part is OK (fair), the sequential round elimination is not

Anthony O'Neal watermark0n at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 12:31:32 PST 2009

Kathy Dopp wrote:
> Condorcet is only a single seat method.

Yes but it can be expanded to be proportional mutli-seat and to be
winner-take-all multi-seat.  I was really talking about the IRV
properties of STV, since STV is essentially IRV with surplus vote
transfer added on top.
> There are lots of alternative proportional multi-seat methods such as
> the ones mentioned by Ab dul and others on this list in response to my
> original email such as the tree method, list method and others
> mentioned by Abd ul - all of them better by far than STV.

STV isn't as bad as you are exaggerating it too be and it's the only one
that has any chance of ever passing, besides party lists.
> Again, STV does not achieve proportional representation unless the
> number of candidates running who represent each interest group is also
> proportional to the number of members of each interest group. Other
> methods achieve proportionality more reliably and also lack the severe
> flaws that STV/IRV exhibit.

I am not sure where you are getting this bizarre property.  STV can
sometimes distort proportionality if you are using the Hare quota and
you run more candidates than you have seats.  But this can be largely
avoided in the Droop quota.
> I prefer Condorcet for single seat districts any day over STV. Any
> voting method on the planet is better than IRV/STV short of
> dictatorship (OK I exagerate this point)

Just a tiny bit.