[EM] First Condorcet cycle ever spotted in a national presidential election (!?! apparently)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 15:31:03 PST 2009

2009/12/9 seppley <seppley at alumni.caltech.edu>

> Without studying details of the three Romanian candidates and the voters'
> preferences, the explanation of this majority cycle cannot be known for
> sure.
>
> However, consider a case of three very similar candidates. The voters'
> preferences in each of the three possible pairings would be nearly tied
> (approximately 50% preferring each candidate over each other candidate).
> In such a case, a cycle involving three small majorities would not be
> rare. Almost an even bet?

Not rare, you're right. However, what you are describing is essentially
something like a "random elections model" or perhaps a "Dirchlet model",
which, according to WDS's table of
calculations<http://rangevoting.org/Romania2009.html>,
for 3 or 4 serious candidates, have probabilities of Condorcet cycles
somewhere in the range of 6-18% - which is certainly nothing to be shocked
about when it happens by chance, but also a good deal less than an even bet.