[EM] First Condorcet cycle ever spotted in a national presidential election (!?! apparently)

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 16:18:00 PST 2009

It is also interesting to separate different types of cycles.
I'll assume that the number of voters is high.

1) Weak cycle (random cycle, noise level cycle, or noise generated
cycle)
- the looped candidates are almost tied
- can be a result of some almost random variation in the votes
- one could say that this kind of a loop is one special version of a tie
- any of the looped candidates could be the winner (no big violation
against any of the majority opinions)
- the expected winner may change from day to day (in the polls)

2) Strong cycle (stable cycle, rational cycle, cycle with a stable
identifiable reason)
- there is some specific reason that has led to the formation of this
loop (not random variation in the votes)
- the reason behind the cycle can be described (maybe multiple theories)
- the cycle / opinions are strong enough to carry over daily/weekly
fluctuation in the opinions

3) Strategic cycle
- a special case
- artificially generated (result of strategies that some voters have
applied)
- not based on sincere opinions

Weak cycles may well exist when we have candidates that are close to
tied. Strong cycles are more interesting since then we must have some
specific reason behind them and the opinion is stable and clear. There
are such situations but I believe they are not too common in real life.

One example of a strong cycle is a situation where candidate A
promotes strongly topic T1 and slightly T2, candidate B promotes
strongly T2 and slightly T3, and candidate C promotes strongly T3 and
slightly T1. Many of the voters are mainly interested in one topic
only (T1, T2 or T3). Each topic has about as many supporters. As a
result a stable rational cycle is may well emerge. (This example is
based on having a special set of candidates with "looped" opinions or
campaigns. Do you have also some other kind of potential (real-life,
rational, large election) strong cycles in mind?)

Juho