[EM] First Condorcet cycle ever spotted in a national presidential election (!?! apparently)

seppley at alumni.caltech.edu seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Dec 11 13:45:12 PST 2009

Jameson Quinn misinterpreted what I wrote. He claimed I described a random
elections model. I described a scenario where 3 candidates are very
similar, which is not the same as utter randomness.

Assuming the votes in all three pairings are very close to 50%--which
would be expected if the 3 candidates are very similar--I think the chance
of a majority cycle is nearly 25%, since there are 8 combinations of
pairwise results, and 2 of the 8 are cyclic: [A>B, B>C, C>A] and [B>A,
C>B, A>B].

(I should have worked that out before posting my previous message, which
wrongly suggested the chance of a cycle would be nearly 50%.)

Regards,
Steve