[EM] First Condorcet cycle ever spotted in a national presidential election (!?! apparently)

seppley at alumni.caltech.edu seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 9 12:23:51 PST 2009

Without studying details of the three Romanian candidates and the voters'
preferences, the explanation of this majority cycle cannot be known for
sure.

However, consider a case of three very similar candidates. The voters'
preferences in each of the three possible pairings would be nearly tied
(approximately 50% preferring each candidate over each other candidate).
In such a case, a cycle involving three small majorities would not be
rare. Almost an even bet?
--Steve