[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 11:30:46 PST 2008

In general I tend to agree that IRV and TTR do elect
reasonable candidates most of the time. Condorcet has
a problem since there have been only few major real
life elections and therefore there is no good data
available.

A good alternative to actual election data is always
also credible real-life like examples. That means that
one should estimate the probability of the set-up
(sincere opinions), required number of strategically
minded voters, probability of voters identifying the
strategy, need to coordinate the strategy, risk of
other strategies, risk of backfiring strategies, risk
of inaccurate polls, risk or changing opinions, risk
of losing votes due to plotting etc.

Juho