[EM] Write-in Candidate Rules

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 07:59:33 PST 2008

Dave Ketchum   > Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:24 AM
> My  memory  says you described procedures used in the UK when
> something was needed to add new candidates after nomination deadlines.
>
> I cannot find such tonight, so proceed for US needs without assuming such.

I should have changed the subject before posting my last reply to Dave  -  now changed above.

There is no provision in the UK electoral law for public elections at any level that would allow the "nomination" of a candidate
after the nomination deadline had passed.  There is provision in the event of a candidate dying after the nominations have closed
(new election), but none that would allow the "late nomination" of a replacement candidate if some scandal broke around a nominated
candidate such that that candidate became unelectable.

If the scandalous candidate were not unelectable but went on to win, despite the scandal, that elected member could resign after the
election or be barred from office.  In both cases there would be a by-election to fill the resultant casual vacancy.

James

> > Dave Ketchum  > Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 5:47 PM
> >>I agree that present write-ins are too informal, nominations are too
> >>formal to cover all needs, and UK thoughts might help us with doing
> >>something to fill the gap.

> In Sun, 28 Dec 2008 00:38:50 -0000 James Gilmour wrote:
> > Dave, I'm surprised you should think any UK experience could help with
> > this one (as you've suggested in a couple of posts), because our
> > systems for public elections are all based on completely formal
> > nomination.  The details differ, for example, as between local
> > government elections (local authority councils) and parliamentary
> > elections (at various levels), and as might be expected, there are
> > fewer barriers for the former (no fees and no subscribers required).
> > But since you've asked .............

<snipped>