[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative KD

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Dec 21 23:21:41 PST 2008

At 04:31 AM 12/21/2008, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>In any case, it may be possible to have one of the LNHs and be
>monotonic and have mutual majority. I'm not sure, but perhaps
>(doesn't one of DAC or DSC do this?). If so, it would be possible to
>see (at least) whether people strategize in the direction of early
>truncation by looking at methods that fail LNHarm but pass LNHelp;
>that is, Bucklin. Was bullet voting pervasive under Bucklin?

In some contexts, yes. However, we see upwards of 30% or so usage of
additional preferences in the municipal elections I've looked at. I
consider that high. Bullet voting occurs for reasons other than LNH
concern. As Lewis Carroll pointed out, it's simply how many people
will vote, representing their best knowledge, they may not have
sufficient knowledge to intelligently rank or rate the rest of the
candidates. Further, if they have strong preference for their
favorite over all others, they may not care to vote for any of the
others, not wanting to contribute to the victory of any of them.
Voting is a moral action, and choosing the lesser of two evils isn't
always the best thing to do. Sometimes the best action is to reject
both evils, and that's what a bullet vote for the best candidate
could be doing.

In other words, Nader supporters in 2000, if they really believed
that Gore and Bush were Tweedledum and Tweedledee, might not have
added an additional ranked choice for Gore even if the method had
allowed it, and LNH has nothing to do with that.

We don't know, unless we do some serious ballot analysis -- the
necessary information is available from a few elections now -- how
many IRV voters truncate, because we don't know the lower preference
expressions from those who did vote for a frontrunner. My guess is
that the numbers are quite similar to what I've seen with Bucklin
historically and what I'd expect from Bucklin today.

>We can stil get some idea of how easily voters would strategize by
>looking at Bucklin, though; or for that matter, at ranked voting
>methods that fail both LNHs. Schulze's used in some technical
>associations (Debian, Wikimedia), and, although I don't have raw
>voting data, they seem to be mostly honest. The Wikimedia election
>had no Condorcet cycles down to the sixth place, for instance.

What I've seen from Bucklin, there is a very extensive analysis of
the Cleveland election of 1915, I think it was, is that voters who
didn't want to vote for a candidate didn't. Truncation, at least in
Bucklin, is not insincere! All things considered, the numbers of
additional preference votes are actually higher than I'd have
expected. FairVote claims additional preference votes on the order of
11% in a series of Alabama party primary elections, and that majority
failure was universal. I'm not sure what to make of that, beyond a
possibility that most primary voters simply knew who their favorite
was and trusted that the plurality favorite would be good enough. In
nonpartisan elections, it seems, regardless of theory, the first
preference leader wins the election, exceptions have to be pretty
rare. (None so far in the U.S. with well over thirty such elections.)

11% additional preference will flip some elections, and apparently it
did. Indeed, some of the opposition to Bucklin seems to have come
from parties and candidates who lost elections due to additional
preference votes, considering that this somehow violated their basic
right to win if they get the most first preference votes.