[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative 2

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 22:32:04 PST 2008

Sorry folks, self-correction here:

> Abd ul,

I misstated this:

> That is about the strangest position I've seen you take on any subject
> because it is equivalent to saying that it is more important for a
> voting method not to hurt my lower choice candidates than my first
> choice candidates.

*should* have typed.

"because it is equivalent to saying that it is more important for a
voting method not to result in having my second choice hurt my first
choice, than it is for a voting method not to result in having my
FIRST choice hurt my first choice"

Below is correct.  I.e. First no harm is not important but Later no
harm is?  Just a position is impossible for me to understand.

It is OK if your first choice candidate hurts your first choice
candidate, but *not* OK if your second choice candidate hurts your
first choice candidate.

It is OK for voters not to know if their first choice might hurt their
first choice, but not for their second choice to hurt their first
choice if their second choice were more popular with a majority?

This seems to me to be a very illogical position you're taking in
prioritizing "later no harm" as more important than "first no harm
(monotonicity)" Abd ul when normally your positions seem so logical.

Kathy