[EM] FairVote on Robert's Rules of Order and IRV

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Dec 14 09:49:11 PST 2008

Hi,

I think Mr. Lomax missed the big point (though I agree he is right to
criticize Instant Runoff).  The big point is that the authors of books
on Robert's Rules showed zero awareness of the existence of Condorcetian
preferential voting methods--or perhaps they were aware but their
analysis was made before the technological age made it easy to
exhaustively tally all the voters' pairwise preferences--so their
"recommendation" of single winner STV preferential voting was only
relative to a few even worse methods.  Clearly, Condorcetian methods
have properties that are much closer to the properties of the Single
Elimination Pairwise method that RR advocates, because Condorcetian
methods are not subject to the criticism they made of STV that it can
easily defeat the best compromise.

(Approval can easily defeat the best compromise too, because many voters
will fail to approve compromise candidates out of fear of defeating
preferred candidates, which in turn will deter potential candidates from
competing.  If Mr. Lomax likes Approval due to its cheapness and
simplicity, I'll point out that the family of voting methods known as
Voting for a Published Ranking are as cheap as Approval, easier for the
voters, some methods of the family are as simple, and if I'm right about
how candidates would behave would tend to elect a good compromise.)

It would be worthwhile, I think, to reach out to recognized experts in
Robert's Rules and teach them about better voting methods, and then see
what they recommend.

Another deception by the IRVings is their widespread claim that IRV
eliminates spoiling.  It's an even bigger deception, much more
important.  A variation of IRV that permits candidates to withdraw from
contention after the votes are published, before the votes are tallied,
would be much better at eliminating spoiling and electing the best
compromise.

Regards,
Steve