[EM] FairVote on Robert's Rules of Order and IRV

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Dec 11 08:01:58 PST 2008

I'm quoting the current FairVote "introduction"
to a substantial quote from Robert's Rules of
Order, Newly Revised (RRONR), on preferential voting.

>Robert's Rules of Order (RRO), the well-known
>guide to fair procedures, makes the point that
>an election by a mere plurality may produce an
>unrepresentative result. It recommends voting
>methods that can determine a majority winner
>when electing single-seat offices. At
>conventions of private organizations, etc.,
>where the electors can cast repeated ballots,
>RRO prefers a system that allows open ended
>repeat balloting with no runoff eliminations to
>finally elect a majority winner. Such a system
>may be time consuming but can allow a compromise
>candidate to emerge after a number of ballots.
>However, in elections where open-ended re-voting
>is not practical, such as in elections by mail
>(or governmental elections), instant runoff
>voting (called "preferential voting" in RRO) is
>the recommended procedure. In the section
>detailing the procedure for conducting an
>instant runoff election RRO states that "It
>makes possible a more representative result than
>under a rule that a plurality shall elect.....
>This type of preferential ballot is preferable to an election by plurality."
>
>The full text is below. (Again, note that the
>term "preferential voting" is another one for
>instant runoff voting). It is from:
>
>Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised
>In Chapter XIII §45. 10th edition, 2000, pp. 411-414
>(Used with permission from The Robert's Rules
>Association, <http://www.robertsrules.com/>www.robertsrules.com)

The text is close enough to the truth that it is
plausibly deniable against a charge of pure
deceiption, but it is also highly misleading.
Basically, it's designed to leave an easy
impression that Robert's Rules of Order
"recommends" "IRV," even though the introduction
doesn't actually say that (any more, it may have
said it at one time.) And if "IRV" means what
FairVote has been promoting in the U.S.,
specifically a runoff replacement -- implicit in
the name that they invented, and which name was
not used by RRONR -- then it's directly and
demonstrably false. The difference is subtle
enough, what might seem like a technical detail
to some, but it's quite a good example of "the devil is in the details."

IRV, as used in the U.S., is a form of election
by plurality. "Preferential voting," as described
by RRONR, is a method which never, following
their rules, elects by plurality, but it is more
efficient at discovering a majority than pure
plurality, so it will avoid some runoffs, hence
it is "preferable to an election by plurality."
However, note, "preferential voting" is *not*
"instant runoff voting." FairVote wants the reader to conclude that. However:

>Preferential voting has many variations. One
>method is described here by way of illustration.

Then they describe Single Transferable Vote,
though they do not name it. Later, in reference
to it, they call it "this form." However, if we
look at the description, there is what many might
think an inconsequential difference. I know I
missed it at first. If you read, say, the rules
for Ranked Choice Voting for San Francisco or for
Australian "Optional Preferential Voting," you
will find that the word "majority" is used to
refer, in describing the process, to a "majority
of ballots containing a vote for continuing
candidates," i.e., those who have not been
eliminated. The description of RRONR's example of
preferential voting refers to "a majority of
ballots." Exhausted ballots, those where a voter
only voted for or only ranked eliminated
candidates, continue to be part of the basis for a majority.

The process continues:

>until one pile contains more than half of the
>ballots, the result being thereby determined.

In Australia, what they call "Preferential
Voting" refers to "an absolute majority." That is
not exactly the same as "a majority of ballots,"
for Australia excludes ballots with some invalid
or invalidating vote, which allows PV to always
find a majority, because, in Australia, full
ranking is required or the ballot is invalid.

RRONR talks about the possible effect of incomplete ranking:

>Sometimes, for instance, voters decline to
>indicate a second or other choice, mistakenly
>believing that such a course increases the
>chances of their first choice. In fact, it may
>prevent any candidate from receiving a majority
>and require the voting to be repeated. The
>persons selected as tellers must perform their work with particular care.

This is a description of the Later No Harm
Criterion. RRONR actually errs here, because that
additional ranking may cause the election to find
a majority and thus terminate, whereas
withholding it could, as they describe, cause the
election to fail, and then their favorite might
win in subsequent process. There are some
conditions, not uncommon, where this is a reasonable possibility.

The main point here, though, is that "this form
of preferential voting" isn't "Instant Runoff
Voting." It reduces, but does not eliminate, the
possibility of needed some further process, such
as a runoff, depending on what the bylaws
specify. If the bylaws do not specify what
happens, the default in Roberts Rules is that the
election -- the whole process, including
nominations -- is repeated. They do allow
existing nominees to be included by default,
unless they withdraw. No eliminations.

In real public runoff elections, the rules
generally specify that the top two remain on the
ballot, none of the others are placed there. Some
rules, such as the default in California, allow
write-ins in the runoff, and these write-ins
sometimes win, they are not irrelevant.

Then, RRONR goes on to criticize "this form of
preferential voting," i.e., the STV form.

>The system of preferential voting just described
>should not be used in cases where it is possible
>to follow the normal procedure of repeated
>balloting until one candidate or proposition
>attains a majority. Although this type of
>preferential ballot is preferable to an election
>by plurality, it affords less freedom of choice
>than repeated balloting, because it denies
>voters the opportunity of basing their second or
>lesser choices on the results of earlier
>ballots, and because the candidate or
>proposition in last place is automatically
>eliminated and may thus be prevented from becoming a compromise choice.

Note that the common form of Top Two Runoff is a
compromise with what Robert's Rules of Order is
prescribing. They would have a vote-for-one
election process repeat indefinitely until one
candidate has a majority. It's possible to have a
public election system that is very close to
this, but it would require a shift in our concept
of what an election is. If the U.S. electoral
college were elected with proportional
representation, and if it were functioning as
originally conceived, it could continue the
election through an indefinite number of ballots.
But, aside from this, it's been considered
adequate to have two stages, when a majority is
not found in the first stage, and the probability
that the election will complete with a majority
is greatly enhanced or even ensured, the latter
being done by rigorous elimination of all candidates but the top two.

RRONR is not a book about voting systems, these
systems are actually a detail for them; the rules
*require* that all decisions, large or small, be
made by majority vote on Yes/No questions. There
are easy tweaks to the two-stage election process
that make it far closer to the pure democracy
that RRONR requires by default. But RRONR is a
manual about existing practice, and only the IRV
form of preferential voting is in current use for public elections.

However, the problem they describe, that it
"denies voters the opportunity of basing their
second or lower choices on the results of earlier
ballots," is very real, and is a common argument
for Top Two Runoff voting, which really does
shift results from the first ballot based on the
new campaign and new consideration by the voters.
Further, the elimination of a "compromise
candidate" is what is called Center Squeeze, and
with nonpartisan elections, it is reasonably
common; if it were not reasonably common, RRONR
would not mention it. Other forms of preferential
voting do not suffer from this problem.

So, does Robert's Rules of Order recommend IRV?

No.

What RRONR suggests for use under some conditions
is different from "Instant Runoff Voting." If we
used STV, as an example, for primary elections
(the first stage in a Top Two Runoff practice),
and we used it as a two-winner process -- which
functions better than single-winner IRV -- and we
considered the election done if any candidate
gained an "absolute majority," and if, then, a
runoff is needed, we allowed or continued to
allow write-in votes, we would have a system far
closer to what Robert's Rules suggests than what we have as IRV in the U.S.

U.S. IRV almost always elects the first-round
leader. (The same is true for Optional
Preferential Voting in Australia: FairVote points
to Preferential Voting in Australia as an example
of what IRV is, but, in fact, the U.S. is using a
damaged form of Optional Preferential Voting.
Australia always allows full ranking, the U.S.
implementations have mostly been limited to three
ranks, even in races with over twenty
candidates.) In nonpartisan elections, so far,
there is not one example of the runner-up going
on to beat the first round leader after the vote
transfers. Top Two Runoff changes the first round
result in roughly one-third of runoff elections.
Partisan elections are a little different,
because it's much more likely, when there is only
one minor party with a percentage of the vote
that is greater than the difference between the
top two, that the vote transfers go, for the most
part, to only one of the top two candidates.

If we want to use preferential voting, there are
better and simpler and cheaper forms to use,
including Bucklin voting, which was known as
"preferential voting," when it saw fairly wide
use in the United States almost a century ago.
Bucklin is not only cheaper, it is substantially
more likely to find a majority, so if it were
used as a primary, it would be less likely to
need a runoff. I would estimate that roughly one
out of three runoffs would be avoided.

There is an extremely cheap method, surprisingly
good, considered by some voting system theorists
to be one of the best methods, and by nearly all
to be better than Plurality or even than IRV, and
that is what I call Open Voting, known commonly
as Approval Voting. I don't like the name
Approval, even though the votes have that effect,
because it implies that one should vote for all
candidates that one "approves." Maybe, maybe not.
Open Voting is simply Plurality except that all
the votes are counted. If a voter votes for more
than one candidate, say for two, both votes are
counted. The winner is the candidate with the
most votes. Because some people quickly and
easily think that this violates one-person,
one-vote, it does not. If, after the election is
decided, one looks back and eliminates the moot
extra vote, it would not change the election
result. Open Voting can be seen as a kind of alternative vote.

Bucklin Voting is Open Voting, except that the
voters rank the candidates, and counting proceeds
in rounds like IRV, except that each new round
adds in the old votes instead of substituting
them. Thus there are no candidate eliminations,
but the voter can still specify which candidate
is the favorite. In the last round, Duluth
Bucklin allowed the voter to mark as many
candidates as desired, which allows the system to
handle, intelligently, many more candidates than
three-rank IRV. But, in fact, with all forms of
preferential voting, many voters only vote for
their favorite, and usually this is relatively
harmless, and it is especially harmless if the
methods are used for a first round. Bucklin does
not suffer from Center Squeeze in real elections.
When a majority has not been found, it has
counted all the votes, it has neglected none. IRV
elections do not report many of the votes which
have been cast, either because the candidates
were eliminated while the votes were still
covered up by a candidate with higher rank, or
because there were two candidates left, when
counting stops, and some of these ballots
remaining may contain a vote for the opposite
candidate. This happens much more in nonpartisan
elections than in elections where only a major party candidate might win.

I would recommend that anyone in a position to
influence what voting systems a community decides
to use, and who has realized that there is
deceptive propaganda out there on voting systems,
subscribe to the Election Methods mailing list,
for a while, and ask any questions they may have,
or propose their preliminary conclusions. They
will get responses from many points of view,
including from supporters of IRV, but also
including serious experts about voting systems.
The EM list includes discussion of many arcane
details of some complex voting systems, and much
of this may not be of interest to the general
public, and sometimes debates rage on this list
indefinitely, sometimes because the questions are
difficult, and sometimes because there are
partisans who will argue till the cows come home,
but the truth will be there, and someone who
asks, carefully reads the responses, and then
asks again, until it's clear, will find that truth.