[EM] Why the concept of "sincere" votes in Range is flawed.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Dec 9 08:13:32 PST 2008

At 01:38 PM 12/5/2008, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>>
>>Ballots do not ask for the voter's sincere opinion. They ask voters
>>to make a choice or choices.
>
>I think that is incorrect. Ranked methods ask for the sincere opinion of
>the voter, and that opinion can be well defined.

Understand that before writing this, I actually looked at some real
ballots. Quite possible, some real ballots ask for ranking in order
of preference. But the RCV ballots in the U.S., just like the name
implies (Ranged Choice Voting) asked for "First Choice," "Second
Choice," etc. Which leaves it up to the voter how to vote.

In my view, to ask for "First Preference" on a ranked ballot would be
just as offensive as asking voters on a Plurality ballot to vote for
"their favorite." It would generate a political bias, making "Core
Support" the standard in elections. Plurality tends to choose a
Condorcet winner because voters strategize and make their compromises
based on information about each other. "Strategic voting" is how
voters can improve the performance of a voting system. The problem,
of course, is that when the voting system gets very good, strategic
voting can sometimes reduce the overall voter satisfaction. However,
my contention is that when it does this, it does not do it to any
great extent, and I have yet to see an example, of any
reasonableness, that contradicts this.

>Now, you may say that only order reversal is insincere. This sounds
>a bit like a ranked vote advocate saying that only altering your
>first preference is insincere, and therefore, ranked methods that
>pass FBC are strategyproof because altering your subsequent
>preferences is mere optimization.

That's correct, about order reversal. It's a reasonable statement,
because equality is a judgement that does not require any specific
precision. "Equality" means "below some threshold of difference
considered significant." "Sounds like" is a personal statement, a
subjective impression.

(We focus on "exaggeration," but it's equally valid to focus on
"minimization," which in Range is rigidly correlated with
exaggeration. In ranked methods which allow or require truncation,
"exaggeration" by ranking in the presence of little or no preference
takes place, and minimization of preference takes place by
truncation, whether voluntary or forced.

>Election methods in general are thus algorithms that take individual
>opinions as input and returns a good common choice, or a social
>ordering. What is a good common choice may be defined by criteria (e.g
>Condorcet) or by utility.

Okay. However, the definition by criteria was never widely accepted,
beyond certain simple ones, such as the Majority Criterion, and Arrow
blew the whole thing out of the water. Paradoxically, Arrow rejected
ordering by utility, based on alleged indeterminacy or other
incomplete consideration; but it turns out that it's possible to
satisfy the Arrovian criteria, that are allegedly incompatible, with
a minor tweak to IIA, which has often been considered the weakest
link in Arrow's chain. The substance of IIA is preserved. See Dhillon
and Mertens, Relative Utilitarianism, Econometrica, May 1999, pp
471-498. See http://rangevoting.org/DhillonM.html

>As for Range, either Range, the method, has a well defined input or
>it has not. If it has, then incentives to misrepresent the input is
>bad, and would count as strategy. If it has not, then how can it
>make sense of the input to find a good output (choice or social ordering)?

The input is well-defined, it's provided by the voters. What cannot
be done is to define the input exclusively by a preference profile,
additional information my be incorporated. "Preference profile" is
clearly inadequate information to allow utility optimization;
preference strength information is also necessary, and, for practical
decision making (even by individuals, and voting systems involve
individual decision-making), lottery probabilities are also
necessary. The voter is making choices in a lottery, and to do this
intelligently requires estimating the lottery probabilities for each option.

A strategic Range vote does not "misrepresent the input," because the
input to the system is a product, in the voter's estimation, of the
relative utility of the outcome and the probability that the outcome
is relevant.

I.e., the full preference profile consists of a rank order, with a
preference strength in each adjacent pair in the order. The
preference strength is then adjusted according to the probability
that this pair is a relevant one, that there is some finite
probability that the vote in that pair will improve the outcome.
Further, there is a constraint: the sum of all the adjacent pairwise
preferences must equal one full vote.

In this social welfare function, preference order is preserved with
two exceptions: where the probability of relevance is zero, the
preference strength in the pair goes to zero, thus equating the two
outcomes; as long as there is nonzero probability, no matter how
small, the preference order is maintained. It will be noticed, I'm
sure, that this sets up independence from irrelevant alternatives,
IIA, because if an irrelevant alternative appears in the full
candidate set (which Dhillon/Mertens also define), it does not have
any effect on the other preference strengths. Only relevant
alternatives can do that.

Further, if the preference strength is below the resolution of the
voting system, the preference may be lost. In pure RU, there is no
resolution limit. I don't know of any significant opinion that a
resolution beyond 1/100 of a vote is needed in practical systems.

The problem here is that estimating probabilities is "strategy." Thus
what we may call "strategy" is part of the system.

Saari got it wrong. The system is not indeterminate, but the input is
far more complex than we can readily predict. Nevertheless, in most
elections, the estimation of probability is quite easy.

Saari gives a preposterous example. Since he considers the allege
indeterminacy of Approval to be a total disaster, which he repeats
over and over in one of the most badly-written (academically
speaking) papers I've seen in a peer-reviewed journal, he gives an
example, as if it were telling, of a totally extreme and impossible situation.

10,000 voters are choosing from three candidates, A, B, and C. 9,999
voters consider A to be excellent, B to be mediocre, but barely
acceptable, and C to be awful. One voter considers C to be superior,
A to be awful, and B to be greatly preferable to A. He doesn't state
them, but we could give the accurate estimation of utilities as

9999: A, 100; B, 51; C, 0
    1: A, 0;   B, 51; C, 100

This brings us face to face with the question, "What is a strategic vote?"

Saari imagines that the 9,999 voters follow what he claims is the
advice of Brams et al: vote for any candidate better than the mean
utility. While this is a reasonable voting strategy under some
conditions, and if the 9,999 voters have no idea at all as to how
others will vote -- which is actually not true even under
zero-knowledge situations -- and if we assume that they all think
*exactly* alike, not only in terms of utility but in terms of how to
respond to utilities, then, yes, they could all approve both A and B,
in Open Voting, i.e., Approval.

Leaving the only sane voter, the C supporter, to determine the
outcome by choosing B, the "mediocre" candidate. Note the failure: it
is not the worst outcome, it is a mediocre one, which *every voter*
accepted. Saari is waving his hands to distract us; I'm sure he's
sincere, he is himself distracted.

Does the average voter know that he is average? Usually, we have an
idea. Imagine a society in which 99.99% of people think one way and
0.01% of people think another. Do most of the 99.99% know that they
are "normal," and do the 0.01% know that the way they think is unusual?

Leaving aside the question of how C even came to be on the ballot,
and how C was then included in the estimation of mean utility, when
sane people would exclude C from this as irrelevant, the A voters
will expect that *most people* will vote the same way that they will,
on average. So, even without knowing anything specific about the
election, they will trust that their own vote will be common and
might even be very common or even unanimous.

Consider what this thinking would do to the A votes. By voting as
Saari thinks Brams et all are recommending, they are setting up a
tie, as if the society has no preference between A and B. But the
society, with only an isolated exception (Saari calls this voter a
"maverick." Is that a good thing? I think so! We need more mavericks,
not less, though they should be well-behaved mavericks) unanimously
prefers, with very significant strength, A to B.

Saari has set up a situation and has presented with an apparently
straight face, where nearly everyone votes in an insane way, based on
a foolish interpretation of a supposedly recommended strategy, and
they get, as a result, not an awful result, but a mediocre one. We
could actually consider that the system performed well and the
problem was not with the system, but with the voters. And, of course,
this problem disappears immediately if we simply add one rating level
to make Open Voting, Range 1, into Range 2.

If we do that, and if voters simply vote sincerely and accurately --
pretty easy to do in this scenario -- we'd get exactly the optimal
social ordering: