[EM] another reason to avoid strategic motivations

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Dec 3 08:50:02 PST 2008

At 03:13 AM 12/2/2008, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>On another note, Abd says the only method that got better Bayesian
>Regret scores than Range, among those Warren has tested, is Range +
>top two runoff. To my knowledge, that's not true, as Warren says a
>DSV variant of Range got better scores than Range itself (according
>to this post:
>http://listas.apesol.org/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2005-October/017331.html
>). Again, this suggests that if you absolutely have to have a method
>where strategy is required to get it to work, use a computer to do
>the strategy since it'll be much better at it than the voters will.
>What you say only reinforces this point.

Actually, that post confirms the *substance* of what I've been
writing. I'd missed that 2005 post or didn't remember it. Here is a
quote from Warren:

>In preliminary computer-sim experiments, it appeared that
>Sarvo-Range Voting was superior (in terms of Bayesian regret) to
>ordinary range voting, which in turn was as good or superior to
>every other voting system I had tried (about 30).  Sarvo-range was
>better than range because it handled strategic voters better.  For
>honest voters, sarvo-range and range behave identically thanks to
>the honesty button.
>It looked like with any nonzero fraction of strategic voters, SR was
>better than R.

I have long claimed that the performance of Range voting could be
beaten by a hybrid system that is actually more in conformance with
democratic values. I'll now claim that DSV (Sarvo-Range) can, itself,
be outperformed. But to do so takes, under some contingencies, a
runoff. And to nail this to the ground, a possible series of runoffs.
However, even a single runoff would be rare, and by that time, the
difference between an accepted result from a single runoff and a
result with an indefinite series would be minute. One caution: to be
fully democratic, it should be possible for a majority of voters to
block the completion of an election. I.e., they make a clear choice
that they would prefer further process, they are willing to tolerate
more fuss, or, alternatively, they don't want the office filled at
all, rather than accept a plurality winner. (I'm going to neglect exact ties.)

Now, to take home: The only way to beat Range is to use Range and
tweak it. This really ought to be a no-brainer, because only a Range
ballot collects the necessary information. (Note that Borda with a
tweak should do almost as well, or as well, or even better, if the
number of candidates exceeds the number of preference increments in
Range (linear Range) and equal ranking is allowed. If equal ranking
had been allowed from the beginning in Borda, and if the device of
having fixed ranks at all ranks, not just the bottom, had been
employed (which makes counting Borda easier and allows Borda to work
without complete ranking), we might all be using Borda, it has been
around a long time and has been impeded by the strategic voting and
clone considerations, which disappear (as to seriousness or even
entirely, depending on the definition of "strategic") by allowing
equal ranking and, of course, the corollary empty ranks. Borda would
have quickly been improved by adding more ranks....

Read this carefully: Range, with any combination of strategic voters,
performs better than any other simple method. "Strategic voting" with
Range, which means something much milder and easier to understand and
practice with Range than with ranked methods, must damage Range
results, but not to the extent that Range becomes worse than ranked
methods. In essence, Range becomes more similar to a ranked method
when voted strategically. But even with 100% strategic voters, it's
better than ranked methods, and the mix of strategic and honest
voters improves results over that, until it is maximized -- almost --
with 100% honest.

"Honest" and "strategic" need specific definitions here, because we
may assume that not being honest is a Bad Thing. Yet the "dishonesty"
in Range is nothing more than not disclosing a preference (or
minimizing it). Because accurate preference strength information is
not disclosed, the method cannot accurately optimize overall voter
satisfaction. That's why Bayesian regret increases with "strategic
voting." However, remember, ranked methods (including Approval)
*force* everyone to vote strategically, and that, indeed, is part of
why they result in higher regret.

How can we do better than "honest" Range Voting? Some method of
testing *absolute* utilities is needed, i.e., true preference
strength. If I think that all the candidates on the ballots are
lousy, but, hey, I'm here, so I'll vote, and I vote with full
strength, I am voting "sincerely," but my utilities would usually be
normalized to full Range (and DSV would, I presume, do this for me if
I don't.) To get better, we need some way to test absolute preference
strength over the range of candidates, and that ain't easy. There are
two ways in use. Runoff elections test preference strength, if the
runoff is inconvenient. Or the primary if it is a special election.
The other way is an auction, which isn't used for public elections,
except that it *does* affect who makes it to the ballot and voters
are influenced by campaign spending. Campaign donations are a kind of auction.

The only real proposal here for immediate consideration is that we
realize that runoff elections are a very powerful reform, that they
always have been. The supposed down side, the inconvenience to
voters, may actually be a plus. It could be said that by not coming
together before the election to agree on a candidate, a majority of
voters have effectively requested a runoff. That is made fairly
explicit in Approval. Don't accept enough candidates, bullet vote to
try to get just your favorite elected, don't be surprised if there is
majority failure and you have to vote in a runoff. This is democratic
process! In direct democratic procedure, when there is majority
failure in an election, the assembly has to continue to repeat the
procedure. At a certain point, they'd rather complete it than
continue the process, so they make compromises; effectively, they
lower their approval cutoff. Those with strong preference may not
change their vote, until it becomes obvious that there are three
candidates left and if they don't compromise, they won't get to go
home. As I recall, the Venetians sequestered the electors, who were
using Approval voting for at least part of their process, until they
finished. I think something similar was done for papal elections. Get
it together, guys! Find the best compromise and be done with it!

Good election methods compress this, but should not totally eliminate
it, insisting on completing with a single ballot. If a good method
doesn't find a majority winner, *the electorate needs to consider the
matter more.* It is quite likely, in fact, that the best candidate
isn't on the ballot. My comment about 2000 U.S. Presidential was that
the biggest problem may have been that the best candidate wasn't on
the ballot. If the electorate knew its candidates, and knew itself,
that close an election wouldn't happen (or the situation would not
persist). This is one reason why Robert's Rules does not actually
recommend "runoffs" at all, no matter what the method. It recommends,
and the default is, that the election *fails*. It's null, as if it
hadn't happened, the whole process is repeated, nominations and all.
It's pretty close to that if the top N candidates are automatically
nominated, but any two voters should be able to nominate any
candidate, whether or not the candidate was on the ballot.

(There would be a way that voters could eliminate candidates, which
would be an explicit vote to make them ineligible for the pending
election. That could be done, actually, but I wouldn't advise it!)

Range Voting, or more advanced systems incorporating and using Range
Voting, remains the best single-ballot system. Improving on this
requires allowing the method to fail to complete, leading to further process.

It is unclear to me which would be better: Single-ballot Range
Voting, or a non-Range method, such as Bucklin or Condorcet methods,
but still requiring a majority, i.e., runoff versions of these
methods. But even better is Range Voting with runoff, I'm sure of
that. Simple top-two runoff is known to improve Range results.