[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Mon Dec 1 15:15:52 PST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> At 12:54 AM 11/26/2008, Jonathan Lundell wrote: [attribution
> corrected]
>

>> My own view is first that we're talking about marginal differences
>> here, and that PR vs single-winner elections is of much, much greater
>> interest, and second that the interesting difference between
>> plurality, IRV and other ranked methods is not in how they count
>> any  particular profile, but rather in how they influence candidate
>> and  voter behavior. In the IRV examples that Greg and Abd adduce,
>> we don't  actually know what the ballots would have looked like if
>> the elections  had used plurality. The set of candidates might well
>> have been  different, the nature of the campaigns different, and
>> voter strategies  different.
>
> That's correct. We can make some reasonable assumptions, though. We
> can look at Plurality elections and look at how many voters vote for
> minor candidates with no hope of winning. We can then look at IRV
> results and convert comparable percentages of these votes to
> plurality votes for frontrunners. I think we could get pretty close.

That, it seems to me, requires a leap of faith, or at least making
assumptions that are hard to find objective verification for.

> Campaigns, from experience, don't seem to be much different. Voter
> turnout doesn't seem to be much improved with IRV, though,
> theoretically, it should improve turnout a little.

An exception is the second round of a TTR election. San Francisco is a
case in point, and I'm guessing fairly typical, in having very poor
turnout for their second round, less than half the first round, IIRC.
This would be an advantage of any single-round method over TTR, of
course.

> The fact, however, that the sincere preferences expressed by voters
> for minor candidates don't shift results, in nearly all cases, acts
> contrary to this effect, in the long run. So you get to vote
> "sincerely," but with no net effect? You can "vote" more sincerely
> by giving a campaign donation to a minor candidate!

My sense is that minor parties are optimistic that a) they'd
demonstrate a higher first-round vote with IRV than plurality in any
given election, and b) that the improved showing would have a
beneficial effect on future elections. That is, the benefit of IRV
(and again this wouldn't be exclusive to IRV) extends beyond any
single election.

Is that true? I don't know, but there's some reason to think so. Green
Party candidates running "real" campaigns have typically been able to
obtain about 10% of the vote in California state assembly elections in
recent years. Suppose they could reach 15-20% of the IRV first choice.
That would give major-party candidates significantly more incentive to
appeal to those Green voters for their second choice.