[Election-Methods] Measuring power in a multi winner election

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Sep 26 11:51:42 PDT 2007

At 04:22 PM 9/25/2007, Juho wrote:
>One more approach would be to give the parties some "veto votes" that
>they can use as they wish during the period between elections. If
>some party in on the losing side in some vote by 5% margin it could
>still veto and use 5 of its veto votes to do that (maybe all losing
>parties would use some of their veto votes).

Look, it's possible to have direct/representative democracy, such
that no votes are lost or wasted. The system we generally propose for
this, in public use, is Asset.

Warren Smith proposed Asset, originally, in a fairly complex form,
and was not considering at all the implications for direct democracy.
I noticed these, however, since forms of direct democracy, made
practical on a large scale, are my primary interest, and I realized
that Asset was a form of delegable proxy. The key to understanding
this is the freedom of the holders of the "assets." They are free
agents, chosen and entrusted with a power that really belongs to the
voters, which they can exercise according to their own best judgement.

Now, you can imagine Candidate List asset, which forces vote
reassignments according to lists supplied by candidates, but this
loses the real power of Asset, which is this:

Voters in Asset, if write-ins are allowed (and that could be made
easy) can actually vote for *anyone*. And, most specifically, they
can vote for a personal representative to all the subsequent process
that might ensue, till the next election! Asset really chooses
*electors* who then represent the public in further process, and,
because there is no competition, voters can freely choose any
eligible person (normally they could choose themselves, for example),
the subsequent process can be direct democracy. Any combination of
electors resulting in enough votes can create a seat in the assembly,
but the voting power of that seat is only a default vote, counted in
the absence of any votes from electors. Electors are, necessarily,
public voters, their votes are public record. That's what it takes to
be an elector, a willingness to vote in public, just as is the case
with current elected representatives. But there can be far more
electors than we currently choose representatives, and, indeed,
anyone can become an elector.

It is very much like Delegable Proxy, actually, and DP might be used
by electors -- voluntarily! -- to coordinate the assignment of votes
to seats, allowing electors with very small votes to still
collectively wield their proper proportional vote strength.

In such a system, measures of voting power become a bit silly.
Everyone at the base level has one vote, period. And then the
electors have exactly the voting power given to them by voters, and
there need be no compromises at all with this, if it is a system that
allows direct voting by the electors. (Because it is public, there
are far fewer security issues....)