[Election-Methods] Measuring power in a multi winner election

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Sep 23 08:32:05 PDT 2007

At 11:22 AM 9/21/2007, Howard Swerdfeger wrote:
>The drive behind thes moves it usually that the old system fails to
>translate votes into seats "fairly". (Votes != Seats)

If we want to understand fair proportional representation, we must
look back to the principle of representation itself, and to pure
representation, which does not involve elections, except in the most
basic technical sense.

If we have an assembly at which all members of a society may attend
and vote, and if every eligible voter actually attends and
participates, we have a pure and complete democracy. Unfortunately,
as scale increases, and even on a small scale in common situations,
this goal is impossible to attain, because there are differing
abilities of members to actually attend a meeting and devote the
necessary time to the issues. So even Town Meeting government, as we
have in New England in many small towns, fails in certain respects.
Town Meeting in the small town where I lived for some years often had
trouble finding a quorum for meetings, and the quorum was five
percent of town members.

However, it still worked reasonably well, because town government
tended to operate seeking consensus. These were neighbors and
friends, and the people who actually attended Town Meeting were,
informally, representing many of those who could not. But not all,
and not proportionally, which we could see clearly in some situations.

Massachusetts law requires secret ballot votes, at the regular polls,
for tax overrides. It is fairly common for a tax override to be
approved by Town Meeting and to fail at the polls. Obviously, Town
Meeting is not accurately representing (or shaping, same thing) Town
opinion. We can presume that most people active in Town Meeting also
vote at the polls, but then there are many more who vote in the polls
but who don't attend Town Meeting (perhaps larger by a factor of ten or so).

So, in order for everyone to be represented in an assembly, we need
some kind of representation. There are two basic forms, and the
difference between them is so drastic that it is a wonder to me that
we have the one, in political practice, supposedly in democracies,
when, in situations where people have free choice, they would never
pick it! But, to my knowledge, for governmental applications, we have
never been offered that choice, and, where we might have been able to
implement it -- as with Town government in New England -- the idea
seems to have never even occurred.

The two systems are, of course, elected representatives by some
scheme, for better or worse, or chosen representatives. A "choice" is
an "election" which is why I will acknowledge that proxies are
"elected," but it is not a contested election. That is, the "voter"
has the absolute right to choose anyone as representative, or to
participate personally. This is the *norm* in business! But it is
*never* done in politics!

Part of my task is to ask the obvious question, as with the emperor
wearing no clothes: "Why?"

I do have pieces of the answer, but it is an open question. Much of
it is simply history. Our present governmental systems, in
"democracies," evolved from undemocratic forms, with a gradual
extension of freedom coming down from the top. That is, a collection
of feudal lords were able to demand rights from the sovereign whom
they chose to govern the overall society. But they were a small
group, and they had no need for proxy representation. (But note that
in some assemblies, even governmental ones, such as in New York,
members can vote by proxy in some situations, I think committee votes
can be by proxy. And there are moves to attempt to limit this, it
being considered an abuse, and if a "proxy vote" is merely an
absentee vote, I agree. The systems I propose do not necessarily
allow directed votes; rather, the proxy simply votes, and those
represented are considered to have voted in the same way, unless they
intervene and vote directly.)

Proxy democracy creates a perfect PR assembly, practically by
definition, but it is not, generally, a peer assembly. There is a
variant which, with a sufficient "district" size -- particular an
election district which is the entire jurisdiction -- is usable with
secret ballot, and which creates *almost* perfect proportional representation.

Note that I say proportional representation, not proportional voting.
However, when we have party-based PR, and we assume party-line
voting, then voting power and representation are essentially the same thing.

But the key to understanding PR is not voting power, per se, but
rather moves two tumblers: (1) representation in deliberation, and
(2) representation in voting.

One of the realizations I came across in this study was that the two
were separable and have different requirements. One of the reasons
that direct democracy has been considered impossible to scale has
been that the two were not separated. Direct participation in
deliberation is what is impossible for all, when the scale is large,
the noise becomes insuperable.

(There are attempts to deal with the problem, to be sure, in certain
web communities, but they involve software filtering based on voting.
These are *not* direct democracy, they are machine-mediated
representative democracy, where the machine acts as the
representative, amalgamating judgements by members without exercising
focused intelligence. I haven't participated in such communities, but
I pretty much know what to expect: frustration. Nevertheless, there
are hybrids possible which could ameliorate this, but then we would
look at what the hybrid would involve... which is what I'm proposing.)

Direct voting has been possible for a long time. Direct voting has a
severe problem if it is exclusive of representative voting, but this
problem was solved long ago, or, more accurately, it never arose in
the business applications, because the foundation in business was a
full and direct democracy of money, i.e., of shares. If you owned
shares, you had so many votes, period, and you could vote directly or
by proxy. Some corporations (particularly co-ops and the like) had
only one share per member allowed, any other capitalization was
through loans and bonds, so these were, in fact, one-vote per member
democracies. But, often, I've seen, proxy voting is prohibited.

And the arguments for the prohibition are not against proxy voting,
per se, but against *directed voting*. In one organization, the
argument against proxy voting was specifically given in the rule, and
it clear was referring to an absentee vote, where a member present
says, "I have the vote of so-and-so on this subject," which is
offensive, because so-and-so did not participate in the deliberation
leading to the vote, and has simply assumed that the vote is a fixed
thing. Which is contrary to the basic principles of deliberative
democracy, which include the *necessity* that people change their
minds when exposed to debate and deeper consideration.

To the point: the standard for measuring PR, to my mind, is the
extent to which voters are represented by free choice. While it is
true that electoral systems create strategic necessities for voters
to select representation from a limited set, we can still attempt to
measure the performance of an PR system in terms of the degree to
which it assigns representation proportionally to voting choices by
the voters. We can also look, separately, at the limitations the
system places on those free choices. But we would start by *assuming*
that the choices were free, even if they are not in reality.

There is no way for any election system to match the representational
power of delegable proxy, creating an assembly which represents in
deliberation nearly all voters by a representative chosen directly or
indirectly, without contests, and which allows all voters to vote
directly, if they choose, but by proxy if they do not vote
themselves. However, this creates an assembly where the voting power
of members can vary greatly. But for representation in deliberation,
voting power is not an issue, voting power only becomes an issue when
decisions are being made. The issue is more complex than I can
completely present in a few paragraphs, so at this point I'm simply
holding up a PR assembly, created through delegable proxy and through
participation rules set by the assembly itself, not by law. That is,
the law creates the Assembly itself and provides it with whatever
decisive power is considered appropriate, and does create or confirm
basic rights of all "members," which can be all voters in pure DP, or
"electors," in Asset Voting, but leaves the rules of the Assembly,
which govern, among other things, floor access, to the Assembly
itself, which may create whatever rules it considers appropriate to
govern its process, provided that they preserve the basic rights of
members as provided by law.

Asset Voting is a system which can create a PR assembly that is
almost as representative as a DP one, but the ordinary voter has two
choices: the voter may vote for anyone through secret ballot, and
may, *in addition,* register as a "candidate," at very low cost -- or
no cost. Any candidate who gets at least one vote (his own?) becomes
an elector; an elector is a public voter, all votes cast by electors
are public record.

Thus we can have a direct democracy -- direct democracy does, in
fact, require public voting, if it is to be true deliberative
democracy -- with a reduced set of voting members, who have variable
voting power. In Asset, these members may create "seats" by
amalgamating a quota of votes. But if it is Direct Democracy - Asset
(DD-Asset), votes which are not assigned to seats are still active,
they are not wasted. Seats are created for the purpose of standard
representation in deliberation as well as with voting, and the vast
majority of voters, I'd predict, would in fact have their vote
assigned to a seat, so that if they do not vote directly, their
voting power is exercised by someone they chose, directly or indirectly.

The Asset creates a peer assembly that is likewise pure PR, with
deviations from it being extremely small and practically trivial. No
votes are lost, no voters are unrepresented unless they are not
electors and they chose someone who defaults. TANSTAAFL.

(Note that if electors use DP to amalgamate their power, and if proxy
voting is allowed for electors, *outside of the assembly*), the
electors with no seat assignment still, nevertheless, have the
advantage of concentrated voting power and the associated efficiency.)

Now, if we neglect the constraints on choice, STV with many seats can
get pretty close to this. A very rough estimate of the degree to
which STV fails this Representation criterion is the difference
between the Hare quota and the Droop quota. The Droop quota assumes
representation failure!

Asset, accordingly, would use the Hare quota, and would accept the
possibility of a vacant seat, or even of a few. Given the direct
voting possibility, and the existence of sub-seat representation in
effect, the loss of a seat or two is actually harmless. Even that
could be remedied, but I won't go there now.

Now, where does Swerdfeger go with this?

>but most of these reforms fail to recognize that that Seats do not equal
>power. So we are still still stuck with a similar problem (votes != power)

I don't find the proposition "seats do not equal power" clear. That
is, neither the meaning of "seats" or "power" are defined. If you
have a standard by which you can amalgamate seats to consider them a
block, then you are defining a block with so many seats worth of
voting power. In Asset, though, the voting power associated with
seats is only a default, in actual votes, the votes of those with
seats can be deweighted according to how many direct votes are cast.

Ah, yes, it should be mentioned. In Asset, the votes that create a
seat are identified, and they come from specific electors, they are
not just assigned as a pool. (Warren's original Asset completely
ignores this issue, he has been interested in "election methods," not
in representational process.) So we know which seat's vote to devalue
if an elector votes. This also has the highly desirable trait that
electors (and thus voters, who know whom they voted for) have a
specific seat representing them. And then we can also see why direct
democracy of this kind requires public voting. Without public voting
-- or some god-machine running things -- there is no way to have
simultaneous direct voting and representative voting.

Completely missed in many discussions of representative democracy is
the back and forth between voters and those they represent. Some
assume that the ideal representative would vote the way the voter
would vote, always. But that is actually quite sub-optimal! If I
manage to elect, as my representative, a perfect person, who always
gets all decisions right, I'm quite sure I will disagree with some of
them! (By "right," I mean that, if matters were sufficiently
explained to me, I would agree. I'm not necessarily proposing an
absolute right or wrong. I'm simply acknowledging that, generally, my
representative will be more informed on the matters being voted on,
and when he or she is not, that I can discuss it with my rep. Or if
not with my rep directly, because the scale is too large, then with
someone who has better access than I to my rep. And with Asset, I
have that specific chain of representation. If I'm an elector, it is
quite specific and known by the rep as well, if I'm a voter but not
an elector, I know and can, if I wish, represent that I voted for a
specific elector, and precinct records would confirm at least one
vote from my precinct -- which is also public record. Not proof, to
be sure! But so what?

>I was looking into 2 methods of measuring power in a weighted voting system.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banzhaf_Power_Index

This index does not apply to an Asset assembly because the power of
all voters to change the outcome is equal. Nor, in fact, does it
apply to a PR assembly where seats have equal voting power. Only if
we attribute the voting power of seats to the voters who created them
with their votes do we see, with STV, for example, variation. The
variation is between 100% (i.e., 1/N in an Assembly with N seats),
down to 100% * Droop/Hare. Do I have that right?

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapley-Shubik_power_index

Reflects the power of coalitions. What's a "coalition"? For this
purpose, it is people who vote together. Could be a political party,
could be any kind of caucus.

>I was wondering first if there are any methods of measuring power in a
>legislature that I am unaware of? Secondly if anybody has tried to
>design a generic system where by votes are kept proportional to power,
>via allocation of seats?

Yes. DD-Asset does it perfectly. If you look at the default voting
power of seats, they are identical (down to a fraction of a vote, for
seat assignments in Asset are created through *exact* quotas, which
are not generally integers. In Assembly votes, I'd assume that each
seat would have exactly one vote, and that this represents Q voters, exactly.

I've said all of this before, and there is an obvious contradiction
in what I've written in this post. But most readers don't read
carefully enough to notice it. I wonder if any will. Yes, there is
answer, a resolution of the contradiction, but I've never written
about it. And I won't at this point.... I won't even give a hint,
except through the position of this note, unless asked. In any case,
the point belongs in a full discussion of Asset and what it could do.