[Election-Methods] Measuring power in a multi winner election

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 13:22:12 PDT 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 23:03 , Howard Swerdfeger wrote:

>> One alternative approach would be to require higher percentage of
>> votes
>> in some cases, e.g. after decisions have been made with lower
>> percentages for few times. In this case 30%+30% would not be
>> enough any
>> more in some cases but the the approval limit would go up from 50%
>> e.g.
>> to 65% at some point.
>
> Good point, I ran my numbers with a threshold of 50% of the seats,
> rounded up.
> the threshold could be altered, and it is unknown how this would
> effect
> the power index.
> My guess would be that as the threshold was raised to 100% of the
> seats
> it would Slowly equalize the power between the parties.

One more approach would be to give the parties some "veto votes" that
they can use as they wish during the period between elections. If
some party in on the losing side in some vote by 5% margin it could
still veto and use 5 of its veto votes to do that (maybe all losing
parties would use some of their veto votes).

Juho