[Election-Methods] RE : Best electoral system under real circumstances

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 22:32:06 PST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 2:30 , Diego Santos wrote:

> 2007/11/19, Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr>:
>
> I don't remember that it is possible for surplus transfers to go to
> different parties.
>
> According Brazilian law, parties of same coalition are counted as a
> single party. After elections, is not rare these parties to
> separate to opposite political sides.

This problem exists in the Finnish system too. The system slightly
favours large parties. Especially in the smallest districts the only
way for small parties to get seats is to form coalitions. The
election method allows coalitions and sees these coalitions as single
parties. The allocation of the seats within the coalition is based on
which individuals get the highest number of votes. This breaks the
proportionality by allocating the seats in a rather random fashion.
Small parties try to guarantee the seat(s) to themselves by naming
only a small number of candidates (e.g. 1) and thereby focusing all
their votes to this individual.

One solution to solve this problem would be simply to count the votes
hierarchically per party also within the coalition. The seats would
thus be given proportionally to different parties within the
coalition. This could work slightly against the smallest parties
since if the coalition would get one seat it would more typically go
to the largest member of the coalition.

In order to increase the level of proportionality from this the
number of seats per party could be counted proportionally based on
the votes that the party gets within the whole country. Seat
allocation within the districts would be counted only after this.
This kind of methods would lead to some "rounding errors" at the
district level seat allocation. But it seems that people often
(typically?) value absolute proportionality between parties highly.
It is thus possible to guarantee very exact country wide
proportionality between parties and between districts, and push the
"rounding errors" to district level seat allocations. (I'll skip the
algorithms here.)

One more rather simple technique to solve this problem is simply to
ban the coalitions (this is under discussion in Finland). This change
could be accompanied by increasing the size of the (smallest)
districts in order to keep also the current smallest parties alive in
those areas.

Juho