[Election-Methods] RE : Best electoral system under real circumstances

Diego Santos diego.renato at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:30:33 PST 2007

2007/11/19, Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr>:

> I don't remember that it is possible for surplus transfers to go to
> different parties.

According Brazilian law, parties of same coalition are counted as a single
party. After elections, is not rare these parties to separate to opposite
political sides.

It was brought up in that discussion that the same electoral method works
> well in Finland. I would guess the major difference is that Finland is
> more
> parliamentary, so it's more important to vote based on party and not just
> individual.

Some congressmen want a constitutional reform to restore a parliamentary
system, but in two referenda, people voted for presidential one.

Reducing district magnitude would probably help also, since it would have
> the effect of increasing the proportion of elected candidates who actually
> received a share of votes that is large enough to justify being elected.
> (If it will continue to be the case that candidates on a party list have
> little in common politically, then at least the individuals who are
> elected
> should be justifiable.)
>
> Some links on the subject:
> http://aceproject.org/regions-en/jne/BR/case-studies/esy_br
> http://countrystudies.us/brazil/100.htm
> http://lasa.international.pitt.edu/LASA97/desposato.pdf

Thanks. In this year, the Supreme Court resolved that party-switching can be
punished by removal from office.