[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Best electoral system under real circumstances

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Nov 20 01:21:17 PST 2007

Diego,

--- Diego Santos <diego.renato at gmail.com> a écrit :
> 2007/11/19, Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr>:
> > I don't remember that it is possible for surplus transfers to go to
> > different parties.
>
> According Brazilian law, parties of same coalition are counted as a
> single
> party. After elections, is not rare these parties to separate to opposite
> political sides.

Well, if the parties find it advantageous to stand together on the same
party list, I guess they will just form bigger (and more meaningless)
"parties" if you make a law that says multiple parties can't run on the
same party list.

It seems mistaken to me to try to use laws to enforce ideological cohesion
in party lists. It would be better to fix whatever it is that gives
parties incentives to form party lists without respect to ideology.

Using the law to punish party switching also seems like a "band-aid"
solution to me. Find out why deputies switch parties, and then fix the
system to get rid of those incentives.

I would say the obvious issue with Brazil is that it doesn't make sense to
have proportional representation by party if candidates and voters behave
as though party doesn't mean anything. And this seems to be caused by
intraparty competition, and the fact that elected candidates don't form a
government once elected (so that voters don't need to consider which
government a candidate supports).

If you get rid of the proportional representation, you just have SNTV.
That's arguably a lot worse, but it would probably stop some of the party
switching. (It would no longer be possible to gain an advantage under the
election rules by belonging to one party list vs. another.)

Kevin Venzke