[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Best electoral system under real circumstances

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 22:12:01 PST 2007

One more comparison to the Finnish system.

On Nov 20, 2007, at 11:21 , Kevin Venzke wrote:
> --- Diego Santos <diego.renato at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> According Brazilian law, parties of same coalition are counted as a
>> single
>> party. After elections, is not rare these parties to separate to
>> opposite
>> political sides.
>
> Well, if the parties find it advantageous to stand together on the
> same
> party list, I guess they will just form bigger (and more meaningless)
> "parties" if you make a law that says multiple parties can't run on
> the
> same party list.

Also in Finland the parties may form "unholy alliances" between
parties that have quite different ideological standpoints just for
tactical reasons to grab the last seats to this coalition. The
candidates are clearly listed as candidates of the parties of the
coalition (no confusion here to the voters), just the calculation
formula now counts these parties as if they were one.

Forming any kind of parties is not easy. Parties can take part in the
elections (roughly) if they have managed to get their candidates
elected in the last or the previous election. Otherwise they need to
collect a long list of names of supporters to get the permission to
take part. The party structure is quite stable. The method sets in
various ways limits to how small a party can be and still survive in
the process (no artificial limits though on the number of votes a
party must get, just the problems that I already mentioned on small
parties having much harder time in the small districts than in the
big ones, and thereby being forced to try the coalitions which then
give a bit random results for the last seats).

It is possible for parties to split, form new groupings and
individual candidates to change affiliation of to form single member
groupings during the term of the parliament in Finland. This is not
very common and typically leads to problems in the next elections,
although some candidates (typically quite visible) have managed to
establish "new life" in a new party.

I didn't yet understand what exactly the problems in Brazil were and
how they are perceived. Small differences in the rules and practices
may sometimes have a big impact. I think voters often are also quite
different in different countries and at different times - they may
e.g. be very quick in moving from one party to another or they may be
loyal to one party no matter what the party does (Finland is on this
side, sometimes maybe even too much).

Juho