[Election-Methods] Best electoral system under real circumstances

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 13:56:32 PST 2007

I'll compare the Brazilian open list method to a somewhat
corresponding case, open list based parliamentary election in Finland
and the plans to improve it.

In Finland the smallest districts have now 6 seats. That is
considered a problem since having both districts with lots of seats
(max 32) and small ones means that it does not make sense to vote for
the smallest parties in the small districts (they may get some seats
in the 32 seat district but in districts of 6 all seats go to big
parties (and votes to small parties are in a way lost)).

One of your possible solutions is to reduce the district size.
Reducing district size would make the system less proportional. Maybe
the intention is to eliminate some of the smallest parties this way.
That would work (there are also other ways to go in that direction)
but I don't know if that is the intention (and if reducing
proportionality is a target). In Finland the discussion has been
rather to make all the districts close to same size. The aim is to
achieve this by combining small districts to bigger ones rather than
to split big ones to smaller districts (bit more complex than this
but that's the overall direction).

You mentioned excessive district magnitude and that leading to high
number of candidates. You mention also the possibility of limiting
the number of candidates by party. Why is it a problem to have a high
number of candidates? I assume the method gives each party a
proportional part of the seats (based on the sum of votes of the
candidates of the party). In Finland people roughly (in theory) first
pick their party and then vote someone on that party's list. No
problem if other parties have an excessive number of candidates. (Do
you maybe have lots of work and large ballot papers because of the
numerous candidates. In Finland the ballot is very simple, just a
small white paper with a circle where you can write the number of
your candidate.)

Can you explain how the surpluses are transferred. Why unpredictable?
Is the transfer algorithm somehow not working?

You mentioned STV. That is an option (quite ok) but this method leads
to a considerably different political system. Is such a system what
people want in Brazil? The parties may not like this idea since the
end result may be a "less party based" system, so the battle may be
an uphill battle (good luck to you though if you want this change).

Closed lists:  Typically gives the power of deciding which
individuals will be elected from voters to the parties. Is that what
Brazil wants? (I don't yet.)

Single member:  Does this mean a dual party system based on single
seat districts? Is that what Brazil wants? (I don't yet.)

MMP:  More complex than open list. What is the rationale? Maybe
interest to have local single seat districts to elect very local
(small district) representatives? Is this what Brazil wants? Isn't
basic (open list based) proportional representation in bigger
districts enough?

Top-two runoff (for single winner elections):  Yes, in many cases
good enough but has also some clear problems and can be improved. I
don't think ranked methods (e.g. Condorcet that is a more "compromise
candidate oriented" (good or bad) and that is better from strategic
voting point of view) would be too difficult. At least if the number
of candidates is not large (7 candidates in the last presidential
elections according to wiki) then also the ballots can be e.g. some
simple ticking exercises. (The method should tolerate/allow some
ticking errors to avoid losing the votes of people who are not that
familiar with using the method.)

Juho Laatu