[EM] Juho's idea

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 13 11:07:03 PST 2007

I generated one example to demonstrate the difference between basic
mimax and the proposed method that seeks the candidate with "the
smallest number of ballots on which some alternative that beats A
pairwise is ranked higher than A". All the votes in this example rank
all the candidates to eliminate the impact of margins vs. winning votes.

12: a>b>c>d
13: a>c>d>b
12: b>a>c>d
13: b>c>d>a
12: c>d>a>b
13: c>d>b>a
12: d>a>b>c
13: d>b>a>c

The basic idea of the example is that there is a cycle A&B > C > D >
A&B. B also beats A with a small margin. The difference between the
two methods comes from the difference of one bad defeat vs. wide
front of defeats (to any candidate).

With minmax the largest defeats (margins) are: A:26, B:26, C:24, D:
50. C wins since it loses to A and B only with margin 24.

With the proposed method the results are: A:75, B:63, C:75, D:75. C's
result is now worse than in minmax since there are 75 voters that
think that A or B or both are better than C. The opposition against C
is thus wide (in number of voters who have "justified" reasons to
object C) although C doesn't lose that much to any single candidate.
Note also that although A and B lose to D in the same number of
ballots, there are also some additional voters that feel that B
should win A, and this makes B the winner.

Minmax and the proposed new method both have a reasonably justifiable
utility function (with sincere votes) that is just different -
looking for either the worst defeat or the worst number of opposing
voters with well justified opinions (=someone would beat the
candidate also in pairwise comparison).

Juho Laatu