[EM] RE : Re: voter cancellation method

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Jan 9 06:56:46 PST 2007

Forest,

--- "Simmons, Forest" <simmonfo at up.edu> a écrit :
> In Jonathan's example below I would expect the lone voter to be
> considered an outlier.  Most, if not all, of the other voters would
> consider his idea to be the most extreme.  I would expect the two large
> factions to move together to the North side of the room, leaving Solomon
> alone on the South side.  The lone extremest would be a member of the
> first pair to be eliminated.

I think you need a deterministic way to decide which factions go where.
Otherwise it is quite obvious that factions want to be as close to the
center as possible.

I suppose you could (if there were enough information already about voter
preferences) randomly pick a voter to start, and this voter would pick
a voter to eliminate, and this person would pick the next voter, etc.
Then effectively the third-to-last voter selects which of the other two
makes the decision.

Kevin Venzke