[EM] Unbias by definition. Quantitative bias comparisons by testing.

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Tue Jan 23 05:25:30 PST 2007

I've told why my methods are unbiased according to the popular meaning of
bias. (BF's unbias depends on the distribution; Weighted BF's unbias depends
on the accuracy of its distribution approximation). To disagree with those
claims, tell why you disagree with that bias definition, and provide a
substitute.

The free-seat requirement may have caused BF to look worse in the tests. The
free seat makes the correlation result less meanngful, for judging methods'
bias, and for judging the unproportionality of the seat allocations among
the seat-qualified states.  That's why no-free-seat correlation results
should always be reported too.

By the popular bias definition, bias should be empirically tested by
correlation between the q and s/q of _cycles_, not individual states. That
sounds radical, but it follows from the accepted bias definition. It sounds
self-serving, coming from me, but I chose my methods because I wanted unbias
by that definition.

I don't know how much the difference between cycle-correlation and
state-correlation could affect how good the methods look, but I suggest that
test reports report cycle-correlation too.

Mike Ossipoff