[EM] alternative Smith?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Thu Nov 3 00:14:23 PST 2005

I wrote:

>>a mixture of the Smith rule and the IRV rule:
>>1. Eliminate non-members of the Smith set.
>>2. If >1 candidate remains, eliminate the plurality loser.
>>3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until one candidate remains.
>
>I think that this rule can be re-stated more succinctly as follows:
>Repeatedly eliminate the plurality loser until only one candidate is in
>the Smith set.

Sorry, I think that this is not quite equivalent, as a candidate can be
the plurality loser before non-Smith candidates are eliminated, but can
receive lots of transfers from these eliminations, thus winning the
alternative Smith method.

So, the most succinct statement of the method proper I'm aware of is
"alternately eliminate (1) all candidates outside the Smith set and (2)
the plurality loser, until one candidate remains."

It doesn't quite roll off the tongue, but it may have good strategy
resistance. Any opinions on how its strategy resistance would compare to
AWP, CWP, DMC/RAV, etc.?

my best,
James