[EM] election-methods-electorama.com at electorama.com

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Wed Mar 30 09:30:05 PST 2005

Dear Chris!

You wrote:
> Jobst,
> You and Marcus are (often) very quick responders!
> Unfortunately "Democratic Fair Choice" incorporates
> more than one feature to which I'm allergic.

Sorry to hear of your allergies...

> I  am strongly of the view that as far as possible,
> the result of the election should be determined purely
> by the voters, who are nominally (or "in theory")
> voting sincerely.

It can never be determined purely by the voters. Candidates must run,
media will publish polls, and so on...

> Therefore I'm opposed to explicit
> strategy devices,
Me too!

> "candidate withdrawal options",
Me too!

> candidate proxy,
I don't understand why you're opposed to that feature of DFC. The voter
who votes for one of the published rankings knows what s/he votes for
and can even modify that ranking by specifying approvals!

> and reliance
> (before-absolutely-unavoidable)on random devices.
OK, but as you may have noticed, there is no randomness at all in DFC.
It's completely deterministic :-)

And what is "unavoidable" if not the necessity to avoid situations where
the voted CW may not be a sincere CW but a fake CW produced by some
majority who prefers that candidate to the sincere winner?

Jobst