[EM] election-methods-electorama.com at electorama.com

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 30 09:17:48 PST 2005

Jobst,
You and Marcus are (often) very quick responders!
Unfortunately "Democratic Fair Choice" incorporates
more than one feature to which I'm allergic. As I put
it in a previous post:

I  am strongly of the view that as far as possible,
the result of the election should be determined purely
by the voters, who are nominally (or "in theory")
voting sincerely. Therefore I'm opposed to explicit
strategy devices, "candidate withdrawal options",
candidate proxy, and reliance
(before-absolutely-unavoidable)on random devices.

 "'When there are three candidates in the top cycle,
AM
 has the property that the candidate with the lowest
 voted approval score can't win'.
But that's also true for DMC and DFC since that
candidate is always
strongly defeated."

Yes, but it isn't true  of   Approval-Weighted
Pairwise  (AWP),  which  my post  was  mainly  aimed
at.

"' Doesn't  Approval Margins fill the bill?  Welcome
 the AM fan club!'

I don't know... Which cycle resolution technique does
AM use? The claim
that the winner belongs to P seems to hold at least
when you use an
immune cycle resolution technique like that of
Beatpath, RP, or River..."

Like James G-A, I have no strong preference between
those three.  In practice in public political
questions, I think more than three candidates in the
top cycle would be very very rare.

Chris  Benham

http://au.movies.yahoo.com