[EM] BeatpathWinner is SSD

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 31 01:05:33 PST 2005

Dear Mike,

You wrote (30 March 2005):
> If sharing a property makes methods the same, then
> BeatpathWinner is Approval, because both methods meet WDSC.

Of course, the question is what a "criterion" is and what a
"method" is.

Example: The Borda method chooses that candidate who has the
largest Borda score. Of course, it is possible that there is
more than one candidate with the same largest Borda score.
There are many different proposals how to solve this problem;
but nevertheless I would summarize all these proposals under
the name "Borda method". I would say that these proposals are
only "different tie-breaking strategies for the Borda method".

In my opinion, the statement "If p(z)[A,B] > p(z)[B,A], then
candidate B must be elected with zero probability" defines a
_method_ and not a _criterion_ because:

1. When the number of voters goes to infinity then the
   probability that there is more than one candidate C who
   can be elected without contradicting this statement goes
   to zero. This cannot be said about WDSC.

2. In my opinion, a "criterion" is a "desirable property".
   But this statement itself is not a desirable property,
   it only describes a possible way to get compliance with
   some other desirable properties (e.g. monotonicity,
   Smith-IIA, Schwartz, resolvability, reversal symmetry).

Therefore, what you call "BeatpathWinner" or "SSD" or "CSSD"
are only different tie-breaking strategies for the Schulze
method that I proposed in 1997.

Markus Schulze