[EM] DMC,AWP,AM

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Wed Mar 30 10:51:26 PST 2005

Chris,

I wonder if the following Approval Margins Sort (AMS) is equivalent to
your Approval Margins method:

1. List the alternatives in order of approval with highest approval at the
top of the list.

2. While any adjacent pair of alternatives is out of order pairwise ...
    among all such pairs swap the members of the pair that differ
    the least in approval.

This method is clone independent and monotonic, and yields a social order
that reverses exactly when the ballots are reversed.

If AMS and AM are the same, it might be useful to have this alternative
description.

If they are not the same, it would be interesting to see how they compare
in properties and performance.

I haven't had the time to run AMS on your examples below, but I will soon
if you don't beat me to it.

Forest

Chris' message follows: