[EM] Least Additional Votes. The importance of strategy.

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 23:05:57 PST 2005

Hello Eric,

I think many people might really use strategy that is harmful to them
but looks promising at first sight.

They might falsely think like in the lines of the Borda method: "last
position in the ballot gives least points"

Or in terms of ranking: "one negative point to the last candidate per
each candidate that is ahead of her"

Maybe both "educated" and this kind of "uneducated" strategies will be
used in real elections.

I think governments could well distribute some propaganda that
encourages voters both to forget their uneducated strategies (because
they just harm them) and at the same time maybe to forget also their
intention to use the educated strategies (that might or might not
work).

One more interesting category of human behaviour is the US presidential
elections where considerable number of people vote for other than the
two major candidates. This always happens although their vote will be
lost and they could on the other hand influence the election results by
voting one of the two main candidates. These people may either not
understand that their vote is lost (in the sense of having some effect
in the results) or maybe they understand this but anyway still want to
show their sincere opinion or the fact that they don't like the major
candidates at all. What I find interesting in this case is that these
people would probably vote the same way also in Condorcet based
elections, i.e. not applying any sensible strategy or simply voting
sincerely. Also part of the supporters of the major candidates would
vote sincerely even if there were possibilities to apply some
strategies. Maybe the number of people behaving this way could be
estimated based on this data from earlier elections and maybe with some
opinion surveys.

Best Regards,
Juho