[EM] Definite Majority Choice, first round public proposal (draft)

Araucaria Araucana araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:01:31 PST 2005

Below is a draft of a first round proposal for a single
general-election voting method replacement.  Comments humbly
requested.  Could the explanation be made any clearer?

As discussed previously, Definite Majority Choice (hat-tip to Forest
for the name) is just another name for Ranked Approval Voting (RAV),
Approval Runoff Condorcet (ARC), and finds the same winner as Pairwise
Sorted Approval.  I believe that it finds the same winner as both
Ranked Pairs and Beatpath when defeat strength is measured by the
Approval of the pairwise winner.  Among non-eliminated candidates,
there are no pairwise cycles, thus removing the biggest objection of
IRV advocates to Condorcet methods.

Note that Pairwise Sorting on a previously seeded ordering is also
known as Local Kemenization and is used in Rank Aggregation methods --
see, e.g., http://www10.org/cdrom/papers/577/.  So if all else fails,
you could say that DMC finds the Google winner!

Credits: Forest Simmons, Jobst Heitzig, Russ Paielli, Chris Benham,
         Kevin Venzke, and of course Steve Eppley, Markus Schulze and
         Mike Ossipoff.  Anybody else I should cite?  Who first
         proposed Graded Ballots?  Adam Tarr?

-- Ted

,----[ definite-majority-choice-graded-ballot ]

`----