[EM] One more comment on Kevin's example

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Mar 18 12:39:08 PST 2005

Mike,

--- MIKE OSSIPOFF <nkklrp at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Kevin--
>
> You suggested that there could be a method in which a majority, who have
> transitive strict preferences among all the candidates, could ensure that
> some Y won't win, by alternately voting ">" and "=" in their rankings. You
> said that's a silly way of voting, and that, because a silly way of voting
> could make Y lose, thereby compllying with WDSC's requirement, that meant,
> you said, that WDSC's requirement must not be reasonable.

No, I think it's a silly way to *have* to vote. And if WDSC passes a method
that requires a voter to vote in a silly way, then maybe WDSC could be made
more strict.

> Now, maybe you'd like to hypothesize a method with which, under certain
> conditions, the _only_ way that that majority can keep some Y from winning
> would be for them to alternately vote "=" and ">", or to use ">" and "=" to
> spell out "WDSC" in Morse code. Silly? Sure. Would that be a silly method?
> Of course. Would that mean that the guarantee that those voters don't have
> to reverse a preference in order to make someone lose is not a meaningful or
> reasonable guarantee. No.

I don't agree with you.

> By the way, aside from all that, it isn't quite clear why you think it's
> silly to equal-rank.

I don't think that.

Kevin Venzke

Découvrez nos promotions exclusives "destination de la Tunisie, du Maroc, des Baléares et la Rép. Dominicaine sur Yahoo! Voyages :
http://fr.travel.yahoo.com/promotions/mar14.html