[EM] Re: minmax is not a good public election method

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Jun 21 22:30:09 PDT 2005

Kevin Venzke stepjak-at-yahoo.fr |EMlist| wrote:
> Russ,
>
> I was quite wrong about MMPO being unable to elect the Condorcet Loser unless
> all candidates have a majority-strength loss. As an example,
>
> 48 A
> 2 B=A
> 2 B=C
> 48 C
>
> MMPO elects B decisively. So MMPO fails Plurality even worse than I thought.
> I don't know how I forgot this; two-slot MMPO was the first method I advocated
> on this list, and I knew it had this problem then.

Kevin,
Let me just add one more point, which may be obvious. I had a hunch that
some some strange results could occur with MMPO. Why? Because it chooses
the winner based solely on the number of votes *against* each candidate.
It does not even consider the number of votes *for* the candidates.
Something seemed seriously out of balance. Hence the case you cite
above, in which a candidate wins with only 4 non-last-place votes out of
100 votes. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

--Russ