[EM] Re: minmax is not a good public election method

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 22 06:43:53 PDT 2005

Russ,

--- Russ Paielli <6049awj02 at sneakemail.com> a écrit :
> Let me just add one more point, which may be obvious. I had a hunch that
> some some strange results could occur with MMPO. Why? Because it chooses
> the winner based solely on the number of votes *against* each candidate.
> It does not even consider the number of votes *for* the candidates.
> Something seemed seriously out of balance. Hence the case you cite
> above, in which a candidate wins with only 4 non-last-place votes out of
> 100 votes. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

However, not counting the number of votes *for* a candidate is what allows
MMPO to satisfy LNHarm and FBC. You do see this, right?

The method I posted yesterday uses the same technique. I realized it's
clear that at least with three candidates, this new method can't fail
Plurality, since it would require two candidates to each have a majority-
strength defeat against the other.

Kevin Venzke