[EM] Power truncation

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Jun 16 23:49:27 PDT 2005

Mike,

--- MIKE OSSIPOFF <nkklrp at hotmail.com> a écrit :
> In comparison to Approval, one fault of MMPO is that it doesn't let the
> voter fully vote against all of the unacceptable candidates. So is MMPO as
> good as Approval? Maybe not.

Interesting idea.

> But that can be fixed:
>
> Power Truncation:
>
> If the voter chooses the power truncation option, then any candidate whom
> s/he doesn't rank  will be scored as if that voter has ranked every one of
> the other voters over that candidate.
>
> In other words, that voter is opting to increase the greatest votes-against
> of every candidate whom s/he doesn't rank.
>
> [end of power truncation definition]

I'm not sure this is a great idea. It seems obvious to me that most voters
would use Power Truncation by default. If so, then on these ballots:

49 A
24 B
27 C>B

A wins (51 votes opposition from B or C), and B does the worst (76 votes
opposition from C). I think this will force C voters to rank C=B.

Kevin Venzke