[EM] Power truncation

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Sun Jun 19 16:05:46 PDT 2005

Mike,
You wrote:

> Power Truncation: If the voter chooses the power truncation option,
> then any candidate whom s/he doesn't rank will be scored as if that
> voter has ranked every one of the other voters over that candidate. In
> other words, that voter is opting to increase the greatest
> votes-against of every candidate whom s/he doesn't rank. [end of power
> truncation definition]

Did  you really mean to write  "ranked..other *voters*...over that
candidate."?  Should  "voters" read  "candidates"?

Regarding this example, do you agree with the way Kevin Venzke has
scored MMPO with Power Truncation?

49 A
24 B
27 C>B

> A wins (51 votes opposition from B or C), and B does the worst (76
> votes opposition from C). I think this will force C voters to rank C=B.

According to my interpretation, the only effect of  PT here is to raise
C's score from  49 to 73, only changing the result from a BC tie to B
winning decisively.

Would any voters ever have any incentive to  *not* use  "Power Truncation"?

Chris  Benham