[EM] Sincere Protection of Candidates Acceptable (SPCA)

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 16 19:18:43 PDT 2005

If we can't always get optimality while sincerely ranking the acceptable
candidates, at least we can offer what really matters: maximize the
probability that an acceptable will win.

Sincere Protection of Candidates who are Acceptable (SPCA):

If, for a particular voter, the election is an acceptable/unacceptable
situation, then that voter should be able to maximize the probability that
the winner will be an acceptable candidate, while voting all of his/her
preferences among the acceptable candidates..

[end of SPCA definition]

Strong Sincere Protection of Candidates who are Acceptable (SSPCA):

If, for a particular voter, the election is an acceptable/unacceptable
situation, then that voter should be able to maximize the probability that
the winner will be an acceptable candidate, while voting all of his/her
preferences among the acceptable candidates, and without falsifying any
preferences.

[end of SSPCA definition]

MMPO with AERLO meets SPCA.

In an immediately subsequent posting I'll describe an enhancement that
attains SSPCA for MMPO.

Possible alternative wording: Instead of "maximize the probability that the
winnner will be an acceptable candidate", one could instead say: "cause the
winner to be an acceptable candidate in any configuration of other people's
votes for which that voter's ballot can do that. Then, the criterion should
probably speak of a set of voters instead of one voter, even if that might
not be essential.

So far I'm leaving the criterion as first written in this posting.

Mike Ossipoff